- This event has passed.
Lecture: Mini-split Heat Pumps and Dehumidifiers – Why, What, When and How?
August 27, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pmfree
Join Ultra-Aire and Mitsubishi for discussions around mini-splits, dehumidifiers and ventilation in our mixed-humid climate. This course is offered in-person in Charlottesville and virtually via webinar. Approved for 2 AIA HSW credits.
[vc_row][vc_column][trx_toggles][trx_toggles_item title=”The Dripping Point: Evolving Codes = Changing Buildings = Increased Risk of Moisture Problems”][vc_column_text]
Presentation from Ultra-Aire:
Tightly air-sealed, well-insulated buildings combined with mechanical “fresh air” ventilation are becoming mainstream and code required, and there is no going back. The Era of Actively Controlling Moisture has begun and the realization that traditional methods no longer effectively meet new moisture control demands is more important than ever.
In this session, you will gain insight about the building science perspective on the “new normal”, and the challenges that architects, HVAC contractors and builders must now face to deal with them effectively. These challenges include reduced cooling loads, increased part-load conditions, and ventilation impacts.
The bottom line is that you have to deal with moisture issues, one way or another, especially in this warm, humid climate zone. This session will shed light on why and how to address high humidity risks through dedicated moisture control systems in single–family homes and multifamily buildings.
You will obtain answers to the questions:
- How are residential energy efficiency building codes impacting dehumidification and mechanical ventilation systems?
- What is SHR and how does it affect HVAC system performance?
- Why and when are traditional moisture control and ventilation strategies no longer adequate?
- What are considerations of various dehumidification strategies and options?
[/vc_column_text][/trx_toggles_item][trx_toggles_item title=”Variable Capacity, Mini-Split Heat Pump High-Performance HVAC Systems”][vc_column_text]
Presentation from Mitsubishi:
This session will increase your understanding of high efficiency, variable capacity heat pump equipment and systems; the market context; when and how these systems fit into new construction projects; and considerations in their design and installation. You will also gain insight about HVAC design basics from the perspective of what builders and designers need to know, particularly for high performance buildings.
You will learn answers to the questions:
- How do variable capacity, mini-split and multi-zone systems work?
- When are these systems more advantageous or appropriate?
- What are some design and installation considerations for these systems?
- What are key items to check on a load calculation?