Client: Community Housing Partners
Location: Newport News, VA
Built in 1883 as a luxury hotel, The Warwick was once the center of the Victorian-era business district in Newport News, VA. Despite significant fire damage in 1960, the hotel enjoyed several decades of use and popularity before slowly going into decline in the 1980s. In 1995, Community Housing Partners (CHP) acquired the property after years of vacancy and converted the space into 88 affordable, EarthCraft certified permanent supportive housing units for previously homeless individuals and reduced existing energy consumption by 50%. Each single-room-occupancy (SRO) unit benefits from the energy recovery ventilation system which provides fresh air circulation to the space and improves indoor air quality This project features a new HVAC system the utilizes a Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) system with a mechanical unit on the roof and an air handler in each unit. The downtown historical landmark is now restored and flourishing once again. CHP was presented with the 2014 J. Timothy Anderson Award for Excellence in Historic Rehabilitation (“Timmy”) Award for this project.